Monday, May 19, 2008

Proud as a Peacock!

On Saturday night our family attended a Luau for the Seniors at Jonathan's school. It was a beautiful home with a beautiful pool that I had to work very hard at keeping my youngest child out of. We ate some great food and I always enjoy people watching. Jonathan had told me that we were invited mainly because he was going to speak to the Seniors. I always take that kind of thing in stride because nothing Jonathan does surprises me. He had also spoken the night before at Senior chapel, which I didn't go to because I was busy plowing through a bottle of wine with a good friend from school.


All that to tell this. Late in the evening, after everyone had finished eating my husband's principal got up to get the evening started. He began talking about Jonathan with some of the kindest words I had ever heard spoken about Jonathan. He said he was what made SCS a Christian school, he said he would miss seeing him in the halls, he talked about the lives he has changed for the better. He said lots of things I can't remember now because all I could think was first how proud I felt and second panic because I was taking Jonathan away from something he was born to do. He doesn't know that is what I think and he won't unless he reads this because I know he feels strongly about his future job and our future a a family, and because later I asked him if all that made him reconsider what he was doing and he said it just confirmed that he had done a great job and now it was time to do a great job at something else. After he finished talking, which was great by the way, he spoke about self-esteem, and how Satan uses it to make us all stumble. He challenged parents that night by asking them to pray right them with their Senior, and revealed his own fight with anger and how Satan has such a grip on him for a while because of it.

After the talk was over and all during the night previously parents would come up and tell me what an impact Jonathan had on their child, they thanked me for sharing him with the school and their son or daughter, and they said they understood and encouraged his decision to do what was right for our family. It was a surreal thing, kind of like I was married to a celebrity that night and to his students that is kind of what he is.

3 comments:

robin said...

How sweet! I know all of those kids and families will miss him! kinda made me tear up :(

suetmom said...

We are all so proud of John-boy! What a blessing he has been to all of his school. They will have a huge void to fill when he leaves. I would hate to be the person that takes that job & tries to fill his shoes....

Anonymous said...

Jonathan knows how to play really hard as well as work really hard. What a great life lesson that is to teach. He can have drug and alcohol free fun which is also a great thing for his kids to know. I wish every single child had a teacher like Jonathan in their life. He will be a good example no matter where he goes. I'm proud of you Jonathan!