Monday, September 25, 2006

It's hard being a mom.

This sentence is some of the best advice I've ever received. A couple of months after Laine was born, I was having a bad day. I was missing Laine and wishing I could be at home with her. I told one of my teacher friends my feeling and the sentence above it what she told me. She gave some explanation next, she has 3 children and she said that no matter if you stay at home or work outside of the home being a mom is a hard job to have. Whenever I'm down in the dumps about working or frustrated because I've been tending to needs non-stop, the knowledge that I'm doing something "hard" make me feel tough.

Sometimes though, sometimes, I wish it was easy. I wish I felt full of energy at the end of the day so I could play with Laine the way she wants me to. I wish I hadn't had my patience tested all day so I had some stored up when both kids are crying at the same time. I wish could sit down and read books to Bowen without thinking that I needed to be cleaning the kitchen or folding laundry.


Is there a good answer to this, no, because being a mom is hard. The good thing I that it's worth it. All the hard times fade when I get to watch Bowen learn how to turn in circles and make himself dizzy enough to fall down and giggle. The frustration fizzles when I hear Laine say how excited she is that it's a school day. The "hard" disappears when she comes up to me with tears in her eyes and says " I want to go to college now, I want to go to college and be a cheerleader"
What an awesome blessing God has given to me. I have the priveledge of nurturing and guiding two extraordinary children and watch what God has in store for them. That makes being a mom not so hard.

2 comments:

Shauna said...

It is hard being a mom! But you have it right...it is absolutely 100% worth it. I have this cute little sign in my house that says "Motherhood is not for Wimps" I think it is perfect.

Anonymous said...

And what an awesome attitude you have about motherhood. You are a wonderful mother and who cares about a clean house. As long as it isn't a health hazard - well, that should be good enough.