Sunday, April 20, 2008

High school, the cat is out of the bag, and bossing

Here is what I wore to church today:










You may be wondering why I had Jonathan take a random picture of me before church. But I have a very good reason. You see, I grew up in a town that has two high schools, not uncommon. There was and I'm sure still is a very bitter cross-town rivalry between the two schools. So bitter that when I looked in my closet today and wanted to wear the blue skirt and the red shirt, I realized I really DIDN'T want to because those are Cooper colors and why would I be caught dead wearing red and blue together. I then reminded myself that I did graduated 14 years ago, and put the two colors on my body. I felt like a traitor all during church. My blood still runs black and gold.

For those of you who don't know yet, JONATHAN HAS A NEW JOB! We are so very excited but have been keeping it on the DL until everything was settled and Jonathan was ready to tell his students. Well, someone posted his position on the school website so the news was going to leak quickly. Jonathan made the decision to break the news on Friday. He called me that afternoon to tell me what a rotten day he had. Just a little background Jonathan is a super star at his school, the students and parents both love him. He does a fabulous job bonding with and counseling his kids, he really cares about them alot. So as you can imagine the kids were heartbroken when Jonathan told them the news, that's understandable. I think what upset him and me is the reaction from the parents. They guilt-tripped him over and over about leaving their kids. That really burned me up, here he is doing something for the good of his family, something that will make a HUGE impact on our future and all these people can do is complain about him leaving their kid. I told him that if these parents really cared about him, they would be happy that he is movin' on up. And those families that we are close to DO realize what he is doing and are genuinely happy for us.

The other day Laine said in a dreamy voice "I can't wait to be a Mommy!" I'm thinking, how sweet, she's having little mommy instinct already! So I asked why she was looking forward to being a Mommy. Her reply: "So I can boss my kids around."


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish every kid had a Jonathan in their life. He is SO good with kids and such a good example. He shows them how to have fun but still be a Christian. Drugs and alcohol don't have to be part of the fun. (If I taught school I would need both.) I would imagine that every student he has looks up to him. He's honest and he's fair. What a rotten thing for those parents to do to him. I learned early on at GTE that people are NOT happy when someone else gets a promotion. That seems to be the same illogical thinking of those parents. I'm proud of Jonathan for stepping out, for making such a great impression on the new company that they were interested in him, for doing what is best for his family. Jonathan, I love you!

Leslie said...

I second everything Linda said. Those parents are just jealous that Jonathan is moving forward and making positive changes in his life. People aren't comfortable with other people making changes. They think it means they should be doing it too and it scares them. I, however, am so excited for both of you and your new jobs! Y'all care so much about other people and would pretty much do anything for anyone, and it's time you guys got to do something for YOU. I know both of you have kiddos that will miss you greatly, but you are doing something that will benefit the most important kids in your life.

Shauna said...

That is one of the perks of being a mom. I LOVE bossing my kids around!!!!! LOVE IT!