Thursday, September 27, 2007

Stay at home day...

Bowen has Strep throat so I'm at home with him enjoying catching up some stuff before we go to "A" town this weekend. For you reading enjoyment here is a list what I've eaten today:

2 waffles with syrup ( at least they were whole grain)

a strawberry frosted Pop Tart

diet coke

a Hebrew national hot dog at Costco

diet coke

Gheridelli chocolate squares filled with caramel

3 strawberries because I felt so gross about the other crap I ate

I mean really I've been doing really well eating healthy, so I don't feel SO bad about eating some junk but I seemed to cram a bunch into 1/2 of a day.

I've been pondering on some things lately one is Laine and Kindergarten. Last night after some hard thinking I decided we needed to have a thought in the back of our heads this year. That thought should be: Laine might need to do Kindergarten again. Yes, you read that right. And it's not because of intelligence it's that some of the kids in her grade are almost a year older than her. I can really see it this year. It's the emotional part, the maturity part and the fact that I want to raise a leader and not a follower. I want Laine to be her own self not try to be someone just because they are older (not that she would realize that but you know what I mean). And it's not so much now that I worry about it's middle school and high school. There will not be a decision made on this for a while, maybe April and I fully trust Laine's teacher this year and will listen to what she has to say too. Then I worry holding her back will wreck her self esteem? Will it? Or will it boost her to be the older one who already knows all the answers and knows how to behave. Last night I was talking to her pre-k teacher and although I can't remember her exact words I do know that I have an exceptional learner. Exceptional in intelligence and exceptional in her learning style. I do know for sure she is at the right school, her "Laine" ways could possibly be smooshed in a more traditional school. Whew. I'm not sure I meant for all that to come out at once. One thing I really wish is that I could be a fly on the wall in her class, I want to see who Laine is at school.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that's a tough decision. Her birthday is so late which makes her young for her class. At least Reegan's bday is mid-September so the decision is already made for her. Robin has been looking at a school for her next year but she will have to be in the 2 year old class for 2 years. Robin has lots of concern about it but it sure would give her a good basic start. But what if she's bored? I just don't know the answers. Teachers out there - can you help??? I really would worry about Laine's self esteem because she is old enough to know what's going on.

Mere Ware said...

I think listening to her teacher this year will give you a good idea of what you need to do. That's a tough one though...

robin said...

Wow, i'm a few years behind but i'm in a similar boat. Keep an eye on her, stay open minded, talk with her teacher often...and go from there. It'll all work out for the best. BUT remember it's only the first six weeks of school. This is all new, give her time. Her teacher needs to relay her expectations, and hopefully be fair but firm...Laine's a smart girl ( and maybe she's just learned to play the game!). Maybe switching teachers? You know how it is, sometimes certain teachers and kids don't click.

Shauna said...

You know we just did this with Mackenzie - she is doing Kindergarten again. And we are doing it for academic reasons but all of the other reasons that you expressed too! We were thinking about her in Jr High and HS too and we want her to be a leader! We can chat more about it in a few weeks - I will see you in a few weeks right?!?!

Anonymous said...

I didn't repeat any grades (if kindergarten is a grade) but my parents held me back a year like I've already told you. It was definitely good for me. I was always the smartest, tallest, oldest, best looking...wait a minute...guess not much has changed!! Actually, it worked out just great for me...no permanent damage I don't think.