Thursday, November 16, 2006

Christmas Shopping

My whole life I've loved to shop for Christmas. And after Laine was born, I even liked it her first Christmas. Now, it's different. Not good or bad, just different.

For example:

When kids are little they don't understand Christmas and more importantly don't remember if they see a gift you snuck in the basket at Target. I remember the when the forgetting dream was shattered for me. Laine wanted an umbrella for Christmas, she was two and we picked out a cute one at Wal-Mart. She remembered we bought it, she asked about it EVERY DAY for two weeks. Finally we distracted her with some new thing I'm sure to get her mind off the umbrella.

Now we even have to hide Bowen's presents from her because if she saw presents for him (especially those from S.C.) she would totally know. You're probably saying, duh Heather. I just think I was back in the day of one kid, and that one kid wouldn't remember his presents, but his big sister would.

Saying all that, it is more fun now because we see the magic of Christmas through Laine. Her excitement is contagious. Tonight she saw a Hallmark Christmas window, she was mesmerized, it was a wonderful moment as a parent. It's a blessing to pass on the Christmas excitement my parents made for Me and Mere.

So this year shopping will have to be done in shifts. Bowen will make a totally cool shopping partner, he can't talk! Hopefully Jonathan and I can escape and shop together a little.

Here's a Christmas poll. My family is divided on how this should be done. What's your preference?

Do you like for family to give you a list of ideas or do you like to shop sans list?

I'm a total list girl!

3 comments:

Shauna said...

I vote List.

Anonymous said...

In general I vote list. But I've always added a few surprises for Robin. For those who are difficult to shop for - LIST!!!

momsuet said...

Well, since I initiated this division, I vote non-list... I don't mind a couple of suggestions, but I don't want to feel that people would be disappointed if they didn't get things on their list.