Friday, September 11, 2009

Laine Emory follow-up

Let's see, Laine is doing MUCH better! Thank You Lord! The day after I wrote the last Laine post I went to school and cried to the school counselor and told her everything Laine had said. She pulled Laine out of class and visited with her and even got her own daughter out of class so that they could have a little play time together and feed Heather's fish (our girls are in the same class). The following day I talked to Laine's teacher and let her know what Laine was feeling and she said she would keep an eye on her for me. Ever since then Laine has had good days, even some great days. We have had to have some lessons. First is keeping her hands to herself, being her PE teacher I have an eye in the sky and I notice that Laine is always touching and sometimes (most) is it unwanted. She has to learn that is not helping her in the gaining friends area if she in annoying people (I promise that is not how I put it to her :) ). Then we told her she has to work on being tough. This is at home and at school. If Bowen pushes or bites her she cries. We told her to push him back. Don't let him boss you around. Same thing at school, if someone is purposefully being mean don't cry and be pitiful...but what to say back... any suggestions? I don't want to teach her to be mean back but a snappy retort of some type would be perfect. Comments please...

2 comments:

linda said...

I told Robin to take 3 steps if someone was bothering her. First, ask them to stop. If that didn't work, second step was tell the adult in charge. If THAT didn't work, she had my permission to handle it however she needed to. She might get in trouble for it but I promised her the other kid would get in trouble too. Did it work? I have no idea.

annalee said...

what a hard situation. i'm glad some things are getting better and i'm glad she has great parents to help her along the way! i have zero tips so far, but i'm thankful for you and others going ahead to look to when adelaide gets older.
ps- saw you guys' pictures on lisa's blog, SO cute!